St. Gallus Church
Roman Catholic Parish Church
The inhabitants of this region came into contact with christianity at a very early stage. First documentary evidence of a "parish church in Harmersbach" dates back to 1206. The religious life of this community is historically very closely related to the former Kloster Gengenbach and the diocese of Strasburg in Alsace. Today the parish, as indeed the entire area of Ortenau, belongs to the archdiocese of Freiburg.
The foundation stone for the present church – a small baroque church formerly stood on this site – was laid in 1839. Built from local sandstone in Neo-Romanesque style, this church was consecrated in 1846. As the ceiling over the central nave was threatening to collapse, the church had to be totally renovated in 1968/69. Patron saint of the church and the parish is Saint Gallus, an Irish-Scots missionary who preached and worked in the area of Lake Constance St. Gallen (Switzerland) around 600 A.D. He died in Arbon (Switzerland) in 640.
Interior dimensions of the church
57 m long, 24 m wide and 18 m interior height. The church can hold over 2,000 persons - seated as well as standing. The pews are made of oakwood, the floor of natural stone from the Jura. The altar, tabernacle stele, pulpit, sedilia and baptismal font are made of Franconian blaubank stone.
The wooden beam ceiling was donated by the parish community of Oberharmersbach. The construction of the ceiling was adapted to suit the Neo-Romanesque style and the presbytery was designed in functional style for celebration of the liturgy. The approach to the presbytery is decorated with statues of St. Gallus, Patron Saint of the parish, and the Holy Bishop Konrad, Patron of the Archdiocese of Freiburg.